Locals share their favorite places to eat, drink and be merry in Chelsea, Michigan
Chelsea has something for every taste, from American Bistro, gourmet coffee, handmade pizza, sushi, or a pint of Michigan brew. Visitors and locals quickly discover some of Chelsea’s best known gems, including Zou Zou’s, Common Grill and Cleary’s Pub.
We asked locals: What are some of your favorite places to eat, drink or be merry in Chelsea that visitors might miss?
We asked our Facebook friends for favorite places to “taste something Chelsea” — the ones that some of us might not have discovered yet. Check out our page at www.facebook.com/chelseamichigan to see all their answers. Here are a few suggestions:
- Arctic Breakaway – located in the Arctic Coliseum, this full service restaurant above the hockey rink features American and Italian favorites from pizza and steak to ravioli Florentine
- Ellie’s Chelsea – recently expanded, family-owned Ellie’s offers some of the best burgers in town, along with soups made from scratch and grinders on homemade bread.
- Back to the Roots – one of Chelsea’s newest digs, Back to the Roots has a retail fair trade store in the front, and sushi, sandwiches, coffee and more in their cafe in the back.
- Pierce’s Pastries – best known for being a “townie” coffee shop, Pierce’s Pastries is a great stop for a quick cup of coffee — the regular kind or the fancy espresso drinks — a sweet pastry or breakfast sandwich. A homey and tasty stop for breakfast, lunch or a snack.
- Mike’s Deli – Move over you-know-who, there is another great deli in the Ann Arbor area. Chelsea’ own Mike’s Deli has a menu full of tasty sandwiches from the famous Stingray to the Gobble, Moo, Oink and many varieties for meat-lovers, vegetarians and anyone who loves a sandwich.
- Jet’s Sport Room – What started as a pizza delivery place, Jet’s Pizza is now a full restaurant, sports bar and one of the best places in town to sip a Michigan brew.
- Seitz’s Tavern – The oldest hang out in Chelsea, a lot of people haven’t yet discovered that Seitz’s is also a great place to grab a burger, or one of their tasty daily specials. Locals love to bring a deck of cards and play a little euchre over lunch or drinks.
- Thompson’s Pizza – Family owned and local favorite since the 1970′s, Thompson’s has a full menu featuring delicious pizza, and a large menu with lots of other family favorites.
To see more, click here to check out the Food & Drink listings in the Chelsea directory.
Our thanks to edgarnorman.com/egg for Glee Cake & Pastry for providing the scrumptious photo we used on our Taste Something Chelsea billboard and banner.