Chelsea Area Gateway Sign Project: Open Call for Artists
Attention artists and fine craftspeople: The Chelsea Area Chamber of Commerce in partnership with Chelsea Lions, Rotary and Kiwanis clubs, Chelsea District Library, and chelseamich.com are accepting entries for a community welcome sign. Community welcome signs, often called gateway signage, provide a colorful and vibrant welcome to residents and visitors. For this project, a juried selection process will be used to select the winning entry. The designs should:
- Be inspired by Chelsea’s natural beauty, indoor and outdoor recreation opportunities
- Easily identifiable from a distance (will not require close-up inspection)
- Include the word(s) “Chelsea,” “Chelsea Welcomes You” or similar statement
- Integrate four 30-inch circular service club symbols for Lions, Rotary, Kiwanis and Library
The scale of the sign should be no larger than 20 ft. by 16 ft. and no smaller than 16 ft. by 12 ft.
“We want to create a unique inspiring ‘Welcome’ sign that reflects the community character of Chelsea and also reflect Chelsea’s dedication to the arts.”
This project has long been a vision of several members of the community, especially Paul Schissler of the Chelsea Rotary club, who’s worked behind the scenes for many years to bring this project to fruition.
“We want to create a unique inspiring ‘Welcome’ sign that reflects the community character of Chelsea and also reflect Chelsea’s dedication to the arts,” said Paul.
The location of the sign is tentatively planned for the I 94 and M 52 interchange, exit 159 or an alternative location at one of the entry points into the community. The planning and execution of this project will be the basis for developing 3-4 additional signs to cover most of the motorized gateways to Chelsea. Each will be unique and designed by local artists.
Application and guidelines can be found at chelseamich.com/gatewaysign and chelseamichamber.org/gatewaysign.
Applications are being accepted until September 9, 2017.
For more information, email Monica Monsma, Executive Director, Chelsea Area Chamber of Commerce at [email protected] or call (734) 475-1145.
APPLICATION AND DETAILS
Chelsea Gateway Signage Press Release
- Download Call to Artist Press Release in Word (*doc) format
- Download Call to Artist Press Release in PDF format
Chelsea Gateway Signage Project Scope and Description
- Download Project Scope and Description in Word (*doc) format
- Download Project Scope and Description in PDF format
Chelsea Gateway Artist Registration & Submission Form